Pastor makes death threats

 

WHO reports…

“A video showing a local pastor allegedly making threats towards someone, is making its rounds on the internet.

During a church conference last week, Bishop Jeremiah Reed, appeared to make a death threat. Sources tell Channel 13 Reed geared his threat towards his grandson. Reed officiates at the Des Moines Apostolic Temple.

In a video excerpt, Reed told the congregation he had received phone calls from someone trying to ‘mess with him’.

“There is nobody that big in the world that cannot be hunted down. I got folk that will hunt you, put you in a cornfield or drop you in the river and put a weight on you or cut your tongue out and leave it on your chest. Those are the kinds of connections I have,” said Reed.

The Bishop goes on to say, “I want them to know I’m not a playboy.”

 

 

A former member of the church left because she said she was scared of the reoccurring threatening and abusive environment.

“I always think to myself, this is like a woman who that’s being beaten by her husband and she wants to get away and she cant.” She went on to say, “There was never a time when I went and sat in the congregation and felt comfortable.”

The woman asked Channel 13 not to show her identity, in fear of backlash from the church, but is glad the video is exposing the truth. She says the church is supposed to be welcoming and loving towards everyone but says the church is generating fear and hatred.

“If you are a shepard of the sheep you are supposed to build them up not tear them down.  Just to hear that stuff who would want their kids or their loved ones to sit up under something of that magnitude.”

Channel 13 tried speaking with Reed at the church but was kicked off the property.

The reason behind the alleged threat is unknown.”

From http://whotv.com/2015/03/28/local-pastor-makes-alleged-death-threat-from-pulpit/

Priest apologises for Jill Meagher remarks – updated*

 

The Age reports…

“Jill Meagher’s family have lashed out at a Catholic priest’s “disgusting” and “stupid” comments after he told parishioners that had murdered Melbourne woman’s faith been stronger, she would have been “home in bed” and not walking down a street on the night she was brutally raped and killed.

The comments were reportedly made during an end-of-term service at St Christopher’s Primary School in Airport West on Friday, as the priest held up a newspaper article with an image of Ms Meagher’s killer, Adrian Bayley.

Radio station 3AW reported that the priest made the comments to an audience of about 100 people, saying that if Ms Meagher had been “more faith-filled”, she “would have been home in bed” and “not walking down Sydney Road at 3am”.

Jill Meagher’s husband Tom Meagher described the comments as disgusting and shameful.

“How a human being with such dangerous and misogynistic views can be allowed to pass those messages onto children is depressing,” he wrote on Facebook.

“What a truly abhorrent message to teach a child.”

Mr Meagher also rejected as a “complete fabrication” reports he or Jill’s family planned legal action against the state of Victoria,by joining a lawsuit with other relatives of people killed by criminals on parole.

Joan Meagher, Jill’s mother-in-law, said she was shocked by the priest’s “ridiculous” comments.

“He’s offended a lot of people. This murder has nothing to do with anything – except the guy who killed Jill,” she told the Irish Independent.

“Adrian Bayley was out there that night looking for a victim and found her.”

Ms Meagher said it didn’t matter to Bailey who the person was.

“It’s nothing to do with anything except the guy who killed her. It’s a stupid thing to say, but I don’t care what people like that say.”

Ms Meagher said Jill wasn’t particularly religious, but was “very spiritual”.

She said Jill and her husband Tom had a strong code of ethics.

“Even religious people get killed in not-so-nice ways.”

Bayley raped and killed Ms Meagher in a Brunswick laneway in September 2012. He was sentenced to life in prison, with a minimum term of 35 years.

A Catholic Church official has apologised for the controversial homily.

Monsignor Greg Bennett, vicar-general of the archdiocese of Melbourne, confirmed the archdiocese was aware of the incident.

He said the church did not support the “totally inappropriate” and offensive” comments made by the priest.

“I’ve spoken with the priest; he acknowledges that the homily wasn’t appropriate and apologises for the offence and upset it has caused,” he told 3AW.

“The reference to Jill Meagher in particular was offensive and inappropriate and the people of Victoria and Ireland mourn her sad and tragic death.”

From http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/jill-meaghers-family-hits-back-at-priests-derogatory-comments-20150328-1ma0zm.html

Indiana – an international embarrassment – updated*

 

The Indy Star reports…

“Gov. Mike Pence, scorched by a fast-spreading political firestorm, told The Star on Saturday that he will support the introduction of legislation to “clarify” that Indiana’s controversial Religious Freedom Restoration Act does not promote discrimination against gays and lesbians.

“I support religious liberty, and I support this law,” Pence said in an exclusive interview. “But we are in discussions with legislative leaders this weekend to see if there’s a way to clarify the intent of the law.”

The governor, although not ready to provide details on what the new bill will say, said he expects the legislation to be introduced into the General Assembly this coming week.

Asked if that legislation might include making gay and lesbian Hoosiers a protected legal class, Pence said, “That’s not on my agenda.”

Amid the deepest crisis of his political career, Pence said repeatedly that the intense blowback against the new law is the result of a “misunderstanding driven by misinformation.”

He adamantly insisted that RFRA will not open the door to state-sanctioned discrimination against gays and lesbians. But he did acknowledge that Indiana’s image — and potentially its economic health — has been hurt badly by the controversy.

I spoke with Pence on the same day that thousands of people rallied at the Statehouse in opposition to the law. And the same day that Angie’s List CEO Bill Oesterle announced that his company will abandon a deal with the state and city to expand the company’s headquarters in Indianapolis because of RFRA’s passage.

Oesterle’s statement is a telling sign that the outrage over RFRA isn’t limited only to the political left. Oesterle directed Republican Mitch Daniels’ 2004 campaign for governor. And it’s a signal that the damage from the RFRA debacle could be extensive.

Behind the scenes, Pence and his team have been scrambling to mitigate that damage — both to the state and to the governor’s political career.

Pence said, for example, that he had a “cordial and productive” conversation with Salesforce.com CEO Marc Benioff, who announced shortly after Pence signed the RFRA legislation on Thursday that the company will cancel all corporate-related travel to Indiana. That conversation, however, has not led to a reversal of the Salesforce decision.

I asked the governor if he had anticipated the strongly negative reaction set off by the bill’s passage. His response made it clear that he and his team didn’t see it coming.

“I just can’t account for the hostility that’s been directed at our state,” he said. “I’ve been taken aback by the mischaracterizations from outside the state of Indiana about what is in this bill.”

In defense of the legislation, he noted that 19 other states and the federal government have adopted RFRA laws similar to Indiana’s. And he pointed out that President Barack Obama voted for Illinois’ version of RFRA as a state senator.

The governor also criticized the news media’s coverage of the legislation. “Despite the irresponsible headlines that have appeared in the national media, this law is not about discrimination,” he said. “If it was, I would have vetoed it.”

Yet, those justifications, cited repeatedly by the governor’s supporters in recent days, have done little to quell the controversy.

Which is why the proposal to clarify the law’s intent with a new bill has gained traction among Pence’s advisers in the past couple of days.

Pence also plans to fight back in the state and national media. He’s scheduled, for instance, to defend the law Sunday morning on ABC’s “This Week” with George Stephanopoulos. “I’m not going to take it (the criticism) lying down,” he said.

As we wrapped up the conversation, I asked Pence: What answer do you have for the many gays and lesbians — and their friends and families — who’ve asked this past week if they are still welcome in Indiana?

“First, this law is not about discrimination. It’s about protecting religious liberty and giving people full access to the judicial system,” he said. “But, yes, Hoosier hospitality is about making all people feel welcome in our state. We did that with the Super Bowl and with many other events, and with bringing businesses here. We will continue to do that.”

Whether Pence can get that message across — whether he still has the credibility to get people to believe it — will help determine the extent of RFRA’s damage. First, and most important, for the state. But also for Mike Pence’s political future and legacy.”

From http://www.indystar.com/story/opinion/columnists/tim-swarens/2015/03/28/swarens-gov-mike-pence-push-clarification-religious-freedom-law/70611906/

 

Benny Hinn heart condition – updated*

 

CBN News reports…

“Evangelist Benny Hinn has been released from the hospital one week after being admitted for heart problems related to atrial fibrillation.

Hinn, 62 was cleared to go home late Friday night. He expressed deep gratitude to his doctors, family, and supporters around world for his medical care and the prayer on his behalf.

“I’ve seen the hand of God at work, both through prayer and the physicians,” Hinn said. “God is faithful. My heart is strong. I have no heart damage. My arteries are not blocked. There is no arterial damage.”

“The AFib is being treated effectively, and my rapid heart rate has reduced considerably,” he continued. “I’m feeling stronger every day. The prognosis is good for a speedy and complete recuperation, and I’m so glad to be heading home to continue my road to recovery.”

Benny Hinn Ministries spokesman Ronn Torossian said hundreds of leaders and ministers around the world expressed their love and support for the evangelist during his hospital stay.

“It has been a literal flood of tributes, well-wishes, and expressions of love for a man who has traveled around the globe non-stop for over 40 years,” Torossian said. “I know the latest report of Pastor Benny’s release to go home will be welcome news for all.”

Hinn said he was deeply touched by the messages of support and prayer sent to him during this time from Christian leaders, including Dr. Pat Robertson.

“I’ve been literally overwhelmed with all the outpouring of love from around the globe,” he said.

“Shortly after I arrived at the center, dear friends such as Reinhard Bonnke and Kenneth Copeland flew here to pray over me,” he continued. “As the news spread, leaders such as Dr. Pat Robertson, Morris Cerullo, Tommy Barnett, Jack Hayford, Jan Crouch, Rod Parsley, Pastors Dennis and Eunice John, and Steve Munsey sent and phoned such warm greetings and kind words.”

“Dr. Paul Dhinakaran from India, who has prayer centers around the world, called to let us know that all of his people were interceding for me,” he said. “There are so many more than I can’t name them all.”

Hinn was admitted to the hospital for heart problems March 20 after an outreach in Brazil.

Earlier this week, the evangelist’s doctors clarified that he did not have a heart attack but was being treated for atrial fibrillation, which affected the rhythm of his heart causing shortness of breath and fatigue.

Doctors had to shock his heart to reset the rhythm, a procedure that proved successful.

From http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2015/March/Evangelist-Benny-Hinn-Released-from-the-Hospital/

Christian band in deadly brawl

 

The Daily Mail reports…

“The group who got into a deadly gunfight with police in a Cottonwood, Arizona Walmart parking lot on Saturday have been identified as the eight members of a Christian family street band from Idaho. 

The Gaver family had allegedly been camping out in the parking lot for a few days when they had a confrontation with police which resulted in the death of Enoch Gaver. Ten-year Cottonwood Police veteran Sgt Jeremy Daniels, 31, and suspect David Gaver were also shot in the attack and hospitalized. 

Meanwhile, the remaining members of the Gaver family have been jailed, including an 11-year-old and 15-year-old who were sent to a juvenile detention facility.

The Arizona Department of Public Safety, who are investigating the shooting, said it was sparked Saturday when a few members of the Gaver family went into the Walmart to use the bathroom, and one of the store employees followed them into the restroom. 

At least one member of the Gaver family shoved the female employee, which led to the store calling 911. 

When police arrived on the scene to investigate the incident, they found the Gavers in the parking lot where they had been living out of a large SUV for the past few days.

DPS spokesman Bart Graves says when the police arrived, the Gavers ‘immediately’ started attacking, according to AZ Central

Witness Louie Solano told KPHO that the fight ‘looked like a riot in the middle of the parking lot’.  

‘Lots of screams. Just screeching noise, like unreal, unreal,’ Solano said. 

‘During the course of the fight, we believe there was a struggle for the officer’s gun,’ Graves said. 

That’s when three shots were fired, though it’s not clear who had the gun at that point. 

The shots killed Enoch Gaver and injured relative David Gaver and Sgt Jeremy Daniels.

Sgt Daniels was shot in the leg, while David Gaver was hit in the abdomen. 

A Walmart employee who came to the aid of police suffered a sprained arm and cuts in the fight. Other officers were treated for lacerations, bruises and a twisted ankle.

As of Tuesday, David Gaver was still hospitalized but once he is released he will be taken to jail to join four of his adult relatives. 

Jeremiah Gaver, 28, is currently jailed under suspicion of aggravated assault, Peter Gaver, 55, for hindering prosecution and resisting arrest, Nathaniel Gaver, 27, for assault on a law-enforcement officer and Ruth Gaver, 52 for the same charge. 

A boy and girl from the Gaver family are currently being held at the Prescott Juvenile Detention facility. Their identities have not been released.

Dwight D’Evelyn of the Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office says the Gavers are being held on bonds ranging from $25,000 to $75,000.

The Gavers are due in court for their first hearing on March 31. Graves says the family have not been cooperating with the DPS investigation. 

According to Facebook, the family is part of a band called ‘Matthew 24 Now’ (they are also go by ‘Busking in the Son’ back in Idaho). The name refers to a Biblical passage dealing with the end of times. 

In a message on the Facebook page, the family writes: ‘We won’t do any events where there’s gonna be illegal drugs. Or any form of promiscuity.’ 

A local Idaho station reported that the family sometimes played music outside an Albertson’s grocery store in Boise.”