Guglielmucci tragedy


The Adelaide Advertiser reports…

“A man who was struck and killed by a bolt of lightning during a church camp in the Adelaide Hills was a father of four and a youth pastor with a northern suburbs church.

Kris Guglielmucci, 39, of Greenwith, was fatally injured at Cornerstone College just after 2.30pm on Friday, as a storm cell swept over Adelaide and the Mt Lofty Ranges.

Mr Guglielmucci worked with young Christians through Victory Church at Pooraka.

A statement on the church’s website said: “Kris was a much loved member of our staff and church and our hearts go out to Lisa and the children during this time. Our thoughts also extend to Pastor Danny and Sharonne Guglielmucci, as well as the Edge Church family.

“Our priority now is to care for the children who attended Summerfest, the amazing youth leaders of Victory Youth and our church family. We have been in contact with all those involved and are offering counselling to those who require it.”

Mr Guglielmucci was running Summerfest Youth Camp for about 100 high school students at the Mt Barker college when he was struck by the lightning bolt.

Police said it was unclear whether he died at the scene or in hospital.

A 19-year-old woman — also a member of the church — was rushed to Royal Adelaide Hospital with leg injuries. She was discharged on Friday night and is recovering at home.

Victory Church senior pastor Tony Rainbow said the circumstances of Mr Guglielmucci’s death were a tragedy.

“(Mr Guglielmucci) was a fun-loving, much-loved member of our church community but it went much broader than that,” he said.

“Kris had an impact not just in our local church but many churches and through his involvement with Planetshakers (an international church) has a global reach.

“The tragedy is he leaves behind a lovely wife and four young children.”

Church officials have spoken to members of the congregation.

One churchgoer on Friday said: “It’s a bit of a rough night — there are a lot of family and friends that have just found out.”

The college oval, where an afternoon of activities was planned, was deserted late on Friday.

A giant tarp used as a slip and slide, children’s pools, water balloons and ropes were strewn across the oval.

It is understood the church camp was abandoned as police investigated the freak accident.

Cornerstone College principal Craig Fielke told The Advertiser the group had been due to finish their two-day camp on Saturday.

“It is an absolute tragedy — we are trying to support them as best we can and we will do that all next week,” he said.

Police will prepare a report for the Coroner….”



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s